What's new

kinooshi823

Professional
Reaction score
Got a Virtua Fighter 1 en route to me. I know I need a soundboard. I also saw a listing with a soundboard and an amp but missed out on that one. Am I out of luck now? or can anyone point me in the right direction to get everything else and the cage? I assume in the pics I have the main board and the I/O correct? Like to add the other listings I've seen are untested listings, so I really don't want to risk buy.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 61
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 52
You need:
Main board
Main board interface board
I/O board
Sound board
Amp

Filter board is nice to have too.

The harnesses are really nice to have as well. Otherwise you are making your own to get all the boards communicating with each other.

I’ll attach pics of the filter board and main board interface.

Attachments

• IMG_0785.jpeg
    IMG_0785.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0786.jpeg
    IMG_0786.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 58
You need:
Main board
I/O board
Sound board
Amp

The harnesses are really nice to have as well. Otherwise you are making your own to get all the boards communicating with each other.

So in the picture I have provided, I have 3 out of the 5 with the filter being a bonus right?

Now I feel more bummed I missed out on the amp and sound board combo

You need:
Main board
I/O board
Sound board
Amp

Would this work? I saw a couple of variations, but would this be all that I need?

I mean this pic is from an untested listing so I don't know but for reference, this is what would be for 4-5 right?

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 49
Sound board is shared with Daytona and very common. The sega amp is also common. Really you can use any amp of you put together the correct cable. I use the amp on the NVS-4000 for VF typically.

You will also want that little channel mixer board pictured.

Sound board is shared with Daytona and very common. The sega amp is also common. Really you can use any amp of you put together the correct cable. I use the amp on the NVS-4000 for VF typically.
As I looked around, I see that it had the roms for virtua fighter. I mean I could erase and reburn if I happened to find that board with different roms.

Only issue is that the picture I showed you, is from an untested listing so it would be a risk buy. But I don't know how often working versions are out for sale. I did miss out on one yesterday, so now I feel maybe I should just try to get something together and worry about the filter board later.

Very cool. I have an Astro City 2 that would be cool to put VF1 in.

As I looked around, I see that it had the roms for virtua fighter. I mean I could erase and reburn if I happened to find that board with different roms.

Only issue is that the picture I showed you, is from an untested listing so it would be a risk buy. But I don't know how often working versions are out for sale. I did miss out on one yesterday, so now I feel maybe I should just try to get something together and worry about the filter board later.
In my experience, the I/O and the sound boards have always been working - it's the main board that is a bit of a gamble.
You can get the game to boot with just a main board and an IO board - if you don't connect the I/O board it will just display a blue screen.
The main board and I/O just need 5v and ground to run (just lots and lots of them)

In my experience, the I/O and the sound boards have always been working - it's the main board that is a bit of a gamble.
You can get the game to boot with just a main board and an IO board - if you don't connect the I/O board it will just display a blue screen.
The main board and I/O just need 5v and ground to run (just lots and lots of them)
Why are Model 1-3 so complicated? lol

Seems though I need a filter board. All I have is the 2 boards for VF1 and the I/O board that is it. No cables, no cage, nothing else.

Interesting I am in the same boat at that guy that started the thread as I also want VF2 to complete my arcade collection. That is the last one on my list

Why are Model 1-3 so complicated? lol
Sega was trying to develop the next thing after JAMMA, it's just that JVS hadn't come out yet and when it did it ended up being better than the model system in just about every way. the NAOMI is the result of the lessons learned from Model System.

Ultimately though people complicate it.. with the exception of the sound board, (which not all games needed). The model system was designed to be a single unit enclosed in a cage. But of course people wanted to make it smaller so they ditched the cage and then ended up with a bunch of parts. and of course some get sold, or lost, or broken. and then people like you end up having to put together the mess that someone else created.

IMO unless you're already heavily invested in the hardware and are just looking for parts your FIRST buy should be a complete unit in a cage. trying to piece meal it together will likely end up costing more in the long run and requires you to become an expert on the platform from the start in-order to understand it. Had you just bought a complete cage, your only worry would be making the harness work with your cab.

... show us what you've tried yet ?

Everything you need is in this thread https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...d-worrying-and-learned-to-love-the-bomb.8697/

ps: I have a dedicated VF1 cabinet, a vf2 that have yet to try and a VF3

I have a bunch of boards for VF1 is you're missing something

This is taken from the person I bought this from but I got these VF1 boards. It was claimed as "working" So I assume I have the main rom boards and the smaller board is the I/O right?

I believe I am missing the sound boards, amp and I think the filters which were included in the cage. As to how I got this for a $100 I randomly shot an offer and he accepted it. I seen various model 1 pcb's as untested on ebay and couldn't risk getting any of those at a higher price due to me not being familiar with model 1 wiring and thus made it a risk buy. Obviously this was a risk buy as well since I don't have the complete pieces to test but to me it was easier for $100.

As for the VF3, I bought it for $150 almost 2 years ago. The person said it had some video issues which would need to be sent to Ken. Issue is, I purchase a model 3 to jamma harness from hong kong but it looks shoddy and I believe I am missing the appropriate power supply. I can upload pics of what I do have in the next couple of days for you guys to guide me on that but I am certain I am missing the power supply which I don't know what it really uses. I seen some stuff about an atx power supply working and I even asked Ken about that and he just gave me the most Sega type answer ever in which he doesn't condone anything than what it is made for to use on this.

I think you may have what I need to complete this, just let me know exactly what I need and how much. Seems like this can be a wiring monstrosity. I do plan to hunt for VF2 if you happen to know anyone who might be letting go of one, let me know if the price is reasonable.

Attachments

• vf1.jpg
    vf1.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 29
  • vf2.jpg
    vf2.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 28
The inside filter board you can buy the connector and make your own.
filter board pin out.jpg

I have the right audio board but can't test it right now: too many cabs and tube blocking the back of my virtua fighter cab!
I believe it works and I might have stolen a rom from it or since it's from Virtua Racing, it might just be stock.
I believe I also have the little "mixer" board and probably a badly burned amp :(

Back