What's new

hoagtech

Enlightened
Reaction score
I have a client who wants to give me a Lost world with the guns, pcb, and no monitor. The rear topper is broken but wont be noticed if I remove it completely.

It has no monitor or frame. I was wondering what technology this cab uses for lightguns and if I would he able to get away with a Black Friday LCD with the lightguns?

The videos I saw looked to be rear projection and 4:3.

I would love to hear more about this cab if you played on one pr even better, own one.

I might snag this behemoth if its worth my time for the price of free.

*pic for reference

62-A499-E8-A691-410-F-AB36-F2528489-CEAF.jpg

Officially JPTLW used the Sega Type II IR guns, just like every other Sega gun game that came after it. It was the very first game to use this system.
it is slightly different than subsequent IR gun games as it used 12 LCD modules instead of 10, but most of the later gun sense boards include a switch to run 10 LED or 12LED configuration.

as Ekorz pointed out it can use CRT guns as well. you basically steal the guns and GUN IO from one of the Model 2 gun games and it works... lots of Ops did this back in the day if/when the IR guns stopped working, but AFAIK Sega never officially shipped these with CRT guns. the suspicion is that they prototyped it on the Model 2 gun system and then switched to IR before release but never disabled the CRT gun support.

Interesting. Do what size the original RP monitor was?

Im wondering if this could be a good candidate for my MAK 38”

50in 4:3 Rear Projection CRT.

keep in mind that with a widescreen (16:9) you lose about 30% of the image to the black bars. so for a widescreen with the same visible area as a 50in 4:3 you'd need a 61.25in Widescreen (which wont even come close to fitting in that cab)

50in 4:3 Rear Projection CRT.

keep in mind that with a widescreen (16:9) you lose about 30% of the image to the black bars. so for a widescreen with the same visible area as a 50in 4:3 you'd need a 61.25in Widescreen (which wont even come close to fitting in that cab)
Whats the horizontal 4:3 screen size in 16:9 tate? If you can rotate your image and scale, you could install the panel vertically.

On my 83” its about 54”.

Id love to know the math of calculating that.

you would need a 81.625in widescreen monitor to emulate a 50in screen if mounted vertically.

the calculation is just an application of the pythagorean theorem.
more quickly though you can use this calculator here: https://www.draperinc.com/projectionscreens/customsizecalculator.aspx

1. select a 4:3 aspect ratio and plug in the diagonal of the original screen
2. copy the height measurement of the original screen
3. select a 16:9 aspect ratio and plug in the height of the original screen
the resulting 16:9 diagonal measurement will be the screen size needed.

to do a vertically mounted monitor emulating a horizontal screen (it will always be larger) copy the width instead of the height in step 2, but you still want to plug it into the height measurement in step 3.

Back