What's new
Hi Folks - having a weird issue with my mistercade.

Running Donkey Kong

Everything works great - but 2 player start isn't recognized.... even if I go to the menu and remap the keys.

Is there a dip switch or config something that would invalidate/ignore P2 start?

Sorry for the dumb question, but why are my games not auto downloading? I enabled MAME and HBMAME in the update_all settings. Every game says file not found. I've started from scratch twice and I'm not sure what I'm missing.

EDIT: There are some games in the mame and hbmame folders. I used to be able to play CPS2 and Cave games, but now all of them say file not found. JTCORES are enabled. Coin-Op Collection is enabled. I wanted to start fresh with my new TATE cab, but now I wish I just left the MiSTercade alone and continued turning my head.

According to the log, a ton of games are not being downloaded with a "bad http status" 403. I'm at a loss. Where can I just download this shit manually?

Last edited:

Running Donkey Kong

Everything works great - but 2 player start isn't recognized.... even if I go to the menu and remap the keys.

Is there a dip switch or config something that would invalidate/ignore P2 start?
I'm not entirely sure. Can you try mapping P2 Start to a random button on your control panel? DK was a single joystick game with 2 start buttons for alternating play, right?
Sorry for the dumb question, but why are my games not auto downloading? I enabled MAME and HBMAME in the update_all settings. Every game says file not found. I've started from scratch twice and I'm not sure what I'm missing.

EDIT: There are some games in the mame and hbmame folders. I used to be able to play CPS2 and Cave games, but now all of them say file not found. JTCORES are enabled. Coin-Op Collection is enabled. I wanted to start fresh with my new TATE cab, but now I wish I just left the MiSTercade alone and continued turning my head.

According to the log, a ton of games are not being downloaded with a "bad http status" 403. I'm at a loss. Where can I just download this shit manually?
I think there was a blip with the updater script last night. Try again?

Running Donkey Kong

Well - I just did a brand new install of mister and mistercade, from scratch - same issue. All I can assume is that the core just doesn't recognize P2 start, and maybe the entire two player thing at all.

It made no difference even when I took the MiSTercade out of the cabinet. I still get that 170V AC from cabinets screws. It seems that cabinet it self uses 3 prong cable, so it should be grounded from the step-down transformer.

IMG_6280.jpeg

All the cables that come from the CRT part seem to be in good shape and nothing visually "wrong" pops out.
IMG_6281.jpeg

IMG_6282.jpeg

Of course I could just disconnect this cable which "grounds" the control panel metal plate (and the screws), but I doubt that it's the correct way to fix this....
IMG_6283.jpeg
@nassekova check you ground wire coming behind the connector from the cpo. usually sega ground wires on the cpo are on the left hand side of the 2 pin connector. you might have that ground wire from the cpo ground post going to nothing.

Hi Guys,

i've got two questions regarding mistercade. :) Basically n00b questions but i tend to aks first before i pdoduce smoke. ;)

I've been a MiSTER user quite some time using a ultimatemister via RGB SCART.
For my restored cabs i've bought brooks ultimate fighting boards, but those seem to have some conflicts with mister unfortunately.
Problem is, they alway go into N's switch mode instead staying in the 360 mode i've forced them.
This destroys everytime the mapping to the mister control, and i got to setup up every time again when i start the ultimeate mister.

So f*** that, i got myself the mistercade kit, so it should be plug and play.

GENERAL SETUP OF THE CABS:

Signal: Consumer TV's via RGB SCART, JAMMA is provided by FrankJs DYI Supergun/Meanwell PSU.

Questions:

1) Video OUT
As the mistercade got RGB level adjustments and Franks Supergun also, i think taking out the video signal out of the supergun is not ideal.
It would recommend set up all 6 pots correct. At least that's what im thinking since there's no schematics, where i see the signal path.
The mistercade has a 2nd DB15 on the XL addon board (hope that's the correct name) where it puts out consumer levels, while its TTL levels on the "main DB15".
I think it would be better to take of the Video signal directy on that DB15 instead of the MiniDIN of the supergun. Less components in the signal chain, also the double RGB adjustments.
I would use the VGA->RGB SCART cable from the ultimatemister that i got. It's a good one which is recommended on mister github page.

What would you suggest?

PS: the 15Khz ini files should be the correct ones? Still haven't figured out how those calculate, but as i understand 240p =15kHz / 480p =31kHz.
(probably got to compare the mister.ini's from the ultimate vs mistercade, but i guess you boys know it. :)

2) Buttons 4/5/6
Currently i got B4 enabled on the supergun microswitch for the MVS.
Am i correct that i NEED to set all those "MiniDIPS" to OFF on the supergun (in that position they go to the CS kick instead of the JAMMA Edge), otherwise i could damage the HW?
I think i understood it correct, but the wording JAMMA EGDE was not used consistent through some doc's i've read through.
In one document it was one way, on the other exactly the opposite whats been told in the other, that confused me (those where not mistercade documents to be clear).
Sorry 'im not used yet to all Arcade "slang". :)
In my world Edge would mean the actual Jamma connector.
I've got someone making me a CPS2 Kick for the supergun<>mistercade, but until then i like to try the new mister setup without damaging the DE-10.

Thanks for answering my n00b Q's. :)

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for answering my n00b Q's. :)

It sounds like you're using one of the earlier Minigun SuperGuns like this, correct?
kagi.jpg

It's not clear to me why you'd use a SuperGun with a MiSTer when you have so many other ways of connecting a MiSTer to a consumer display, but nevertheless - answers:

1) Video Out. If you use the JAMMA for video, I would set the RGB attentuation pots on both the SuperGun and MiSTercade to the center. You probably won't need to adjust them further, but if so, adjust the ones on the MiSTercade and leave the SuperGun pots alone.

The VGA port outputting consumer voltage on the XL board will work fine for video if your display supports it as well. You are correct that bypassing the attentuation is best if your display supports a VGA input.

15 khz is the correct INI file to use if you're using the JAMMA connector for video. If you're using the VGA port, either the 15 khz INI or 31 khz INI file is appropriate depending on what the display you're connecting to supports. PC CRT monitors that connect through VGA for example usually only support 31 khz.

2) Yes, "edge" is referring to the JAMMA connector in the documents you're reading. MiSTercade wires up Button 4 on both the JAMMA connector and kickharness connector simultaneosuly.

If you have a kickharness for buttons 4-6 then I recommend you use a kickharness - disable the "B4" switch on the SuperGun, set the CHAMMA slider to Off on the MiSTercade, and connect a kickharness to one of the connectors on the MiSTercade.

If you don't have a kickharness then enable the "B4" switches on the SuperGun - you don't have to worry about your Button 4 setting on the SuperGun harming the MiSTercade.

Thank for chiming in @ShootTheCore !

No i've built te latest version of the Franks Supergun it looks like this:
https://www.arcade-projects.com/attachments/minigun_3d_r2-5-png.26092/
Where one can enable B4/5 of P1 + P2.

The main reason for using the JAMMA with the MiSTER is, that it should be just plug and play then, because those brooks fighting boards somehow give me a hard time doin so, as said above.
I've only got a MVS and a PGM so far, but who knows what arcade game i will get, so adding Jamma was kinda no brainer, and when theres an option to hook up the mister the same way. All the cable hustle should be gone.

For Video: Okay, i will see what works best, leaving the supergun pots as is, and fiddling only on the mistercades is a nice hint, thanks.

Thanks for explaining the button scenario, so this means B4 is safe to enable, while i should NOT enable B5 anytime. Or said the other way around if i wanna use B5/6 i need a Kick harness.

Thanks again!

Thanks for explaining the button scenario, so this means B4 is safe to enable, while i should NOT enable B5 anytime. Or said the other way around if i wanna use B5/6 i need a Kick harness.

Thanks again!

You can enable 6 button support with that SuperGun and MiSTercade without a kickharness. Just enable buttons 4, 5 and 6 on the SuperGun and set the CHAMMA slider to Enabled on the MiSTercade.

Has anyone else had issues when trying to define buttons. I seem to hit problems when some games ask for a P2 button - and I press the P2 button but it doesn’t take. This happens to me on two independent Mistercades. Also some games will register coins in the coin mech and others won’t, and I’m unsure why.

I was messing around today trying to get players 3 & 4 working from some 8bitdo controllers to no avail. Has anyone else tried something like this with mistercade? I'm not sure if its a mister limitation or not as there appears to be options in the mister.ini now to map different controllers to different players, i've mapped the USBs to players 3 & 4 (8bitdo bt dongles show up as usb controllers) but when i configure it, it doesn't seem to work. I can use the controllers in the mister menu but not in games it seems.

Just wanted to check if anyone else has tried it and has it working incase i'm trying to do something that isn't currently possible. Also wanted to check here (where we have lots of mistercade users) before i pester people about asking for a new feature request to the mister project.

The use case here would be to play 4p games like TMNT, the simpsons etc on the arcade machine with the extra players using some controllers.

Last edited:
Has anyone else had issues when trying to define buttons. I seem to hit problems when some games ask for a P2 button - and I press the P2 button but it doesn’t take. This happens to me on two independent Mistercades. Also some games will register coins in the coin mech and others won’t, and I’m unsure why.

I haven't hit this, but most games have the mappings already done for mistercade if you jump on the mistercade github and download the pre configured mappings. Bonus tip - if you edit downloader.ini and add in the below then it'll grab/update the mappings when you run update_all:

[misteraddons/mistercade_mappings]
db_url = https://raw.githubusercontent.com/misteraddons/mistercade_mappings/db/db.json.zip
allow_delete = 0
verbose = true

I was messing around today trying to get players 3 & 4 working from some 8bitdo controllers to no avail. Has anyone else tried something like this with mistercade?
I haven't tried personaly because i trashed the idea, but as i my initial idea was using ultimatemister /w brooks controllers, i was looking into this bit.
Did you had a look at this page?
https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_MiSTer/basics/input/#default-joystick-player-assignment-method at the Advanced Joystick Player Assignment Method section.

I wanted to use this in order to avaid, that you always have to press a button on P1 first then on P2. As im typing this did you try that? Hitting buttons in players 1-4 order.

Did you had a look at this page?
https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_MiSTer/basics/input/#default-joystick-player-assignment-method at the Advanced Joystick Player Assignment Method section.

I wanted to use this in order to avaid, that you always have to press a button on P1 first then on P2. As im typing this did you try that? Hitting buttons in players 1-4 order.

I managed to get it working, i'm using the advanced method to lock the usb controllers to player 3 & 4 and the final piece of the puzzle is you need to map the controlls on the main menu core, not just in the games core for it to work properly.

It's kind of cool being able to play 4 players on a cab with a 2p control panel :)

Back