What's new

hyp36rmax

Champion
Reaction score
Out of curiousity has anyone tried a CF to SD Adapter with TAITO G-NET? If we were to use compatible Sandisk SD cards if we can't source equivalent CF cards for whatever reason. or a PC Card to SD adapter bypassing CF cards altogether.

Another reason for this option would be able to use legit cards from a known manufacturer. CF Card capacities used in the past are essentially EOL with NAND tech evolving since then. We still have issues with bootleg CF cards in those lower capacities. This would overcome that concern no?

1628199492839.png

Source: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/816112-REG/Digieffects_SDXCF_Extreme_SD_HC_XC_to_CF.html
Source: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFVG9XO

Last edited:
you can get ones from china that use a microSD - those would be more reliable if it works.
(less adapters)

i'm not sure what you mean by that.
i was simply saying that going for a MicroSD based adapter means you arent using a crappy MicroSD>SD adapter aswell.

It’s been my experience that anything besides Sandisk CF cards are likely to glitch or not load at all.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with bootleg CF cards. If it works, it works.

That’s the thing, boots can work, we take a chance everytime with those. NAND used in those boots could be lower quality, may have a higher failure rate and more risk of rinse repeat that some people might not want to bother with. what if more modern solutions with legit cards can be used without fault?

i'm not sure what you mean by that.
i was simply saying that going for a MicroSD based adapter means you arent using a crappy MicroSD>SD adapter aswell.
i agree here. Mitigate all possible points of failure.

It’s been my experience that anything besides Sandisk CF cards are likely to glitch or not load at all.

yea definitely true here, curious if a legit Sandisk micro sd card in one of these adapters will continue the compatibility as those older cf cards start to EOL. Might try this out for the name of science lol

That’s the thing, boots can work, we take a chance everytime with those. NAND used in those boots could be lower quality, may have a higher failure rate and more risk of rinse repeat that some people might not want to bother with. what if more modern solutions with legit cards can be used without fault?

But ultimately we're talking of videogames, not medical equipment, so I'm not sure how it matters. Your $5 dollar CF card stops working? Buy another one.

For the record, I run multiple Atari and Midway games with bootleg CF cards. No issues so far!

bootleg_cf_card_1.jpg
bootleg_cf_card_2.jpg

Sandisk is bootleg and IndMem is just some generic brand thing. The first pic shows Rush 2049, which has a read speed test in the service menu. Funnily enough, the bootleg Sandisk performed better than a very expensive UDMA7 brand name card.

Not saying you shouldn't try using a SD CF adapter. I'm just saying bootleg cards are a perfectly valid option and shouldn't be discounted just because they aren't Lexar and don't cost 10 times as much.

i like toshiba (now kioxia??)
and transcend

i dont see any point paying extra for a name.

I bought 33 Transcend cards for use with G-Net Games. two of them had problems with writing but every other card has worked perfectly.

I bought these because they were the absolute cheapest cards I could find on eBay.

wold be interesting to see if a SD or Micro SD adapter could work, if for no other reason that CF cards will eventually become harder and more expensive to find.

Yea it doesn't have to be Sandisk per se. Transcend and Toshiba Cards should work as long as they are legit. I can say there are probably three main suppliers for NAND for CF and SD cards. SanDisk being the major player. The boots are typically the left over NAND repurposed with very little QA on the manufactuering side. Used to work for a well known manufactuer of NAND technology.

The problem is availability of lower capacities which lead to high pricing and limited availability. Built in controllers have a lot to do with that as well.

has anybody tried to write the CF cards using a USB adapter? or would it only work with computers with IDE support?

The problem with Naomi is that you can't find the boot sector of the CF card without an IDE or PCMCIA adapter. However, once the sector is known there's no issue in writing Naomi images to CF cards with a USB adapter.

any suggestion of a good usb adapter that works for G-Net affairs? lol

Back