What's new

Kidkaos

Champion
Reaction score
So, my Noir is pretty much working.

Except, I can't get the image to FILL up on the left and right sides. It stays 4:3 and I don't think this is a 4:3 monitor. I also don't think this is the stock SANWA, I thinks it's a Wei-ya.

Any suggestions?

I've only been able to hook up a ttx3 and a Naomi1. Both only are making the screen 4:3 instead of 16:9

Both my devices work well on a Viewlix F at the appropriate resolution via vga and DVI.

I have only tried Vga and HDMi on the Noir.

Attachments

• 20230506_152817.jpg
    20230506_152817.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 20230504_225400.jpg
    20230504_225400.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 20230506_153806.jpg
    20230506_153806.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 97
Your monitor is a 16:9 for sure, my Noir came with a Wei ya as stock.

Not sure, mine doesn’t have a setting to alter the format, it just automatically adjusts depending on the source.

Are there any options on the monitor OSD you can change if you hit that menu button? I know there is my on my noir but that has a different control board to what you have shown.

I will post pics of what comes up on the OSD. I can't seem to stretch out or fill the image with the osd.

I suspect this isn't the original monitor as it is spliced in AND the other remote board is still present in the center top door where the card reader and coin entry door are.

That remote board only adjusts volume. None of the buttons on that work and that led doesn't turn on making me think that's the old remote board for the original monitor that may have been bypassed to only adjust the cabs amp/sound.

idk if you can force the aspect ratio to change on those monitors. Also Weiya is factory offical even on the HD models the custom PCB with integrated remote controls and monitor have weiya markings

Marvel should be 4:3.

SF4 has a 16:9 mode but those pics are in 4:3 mode. Is the TTX3 a multi? What resolution is the menu running at?

So, my Noir is pretty much working.

Except, I can't get the image to FILL up on the left and right sides. It stays 4:3 and I don't think this is a 4:3 monitor. I also don't think this is the stock SANWA, I thinks it's a Wei-ya.

Any suggestions?

I've only been able to hook up a ttx3 and a Naomi1. Both only are making the screen 4:3 instead of 16:9

Both my devices work well on a Viewlix F at the appropriate resolution via vga and DVI.

I have only tried Vga and HDMi on the Noir.
go to the menu and set the picture to wide. Either that or take out the cable on that replacment board and plug it back into the back of the old controller near the coin slot

Does the back of this monitor look original?

Here is the remote board in the center of the cab. Nothing other than volume pot works

Attachments

• 20230507_175745.jpg
    20230507_175745.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 20230507_175805.jpg
    20230507_175805.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 72
I got no difference swapping out remotes. The led doesn't turn on. I believe the original wei ya remote by the coin entry burned out, the red buttons and volume pot work, but none of the top row buttons for size adjustments work and the LED does not turn on either. I believe they may have added this remote. Board to compensate but it doesn't do the trick either 🤔

This is bizarre. When you boot it up, screen fills completely. As it starts up it reverts back to 4:3. I can't stop it and it's BIZARRE. Not even in the optios menu

Attachments

• 20230507_185952.jpg
    20230507_185952.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230507_190127.jpg
    20230507_190127.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 54
That LCD panel may have been replaced/modified sometime in its life. I cant recall an HD cab having the back have an exposed PCB like that which is just screwed in. Although I mostly import the Blues and not Red HDs.

However the silver grounding tape is cut meaning its been opened before why who knows. Further more the input lables on the back of the screen should match up with the actual inputs and the INPUT board should be behind a metal cage with only the inputs seen coming out of said cage. I seen similar Weiya monitor assemblies on the Noir and other cabs they dont have an exposed PCB like yours.

So all these things put together it looks like the panel/controller PCB was changed/modified or something to that effect during its life. The fact your original remote will not work with it can back that idea up.

That said there's two sets of cables for the original cabinet remote under the coin panel. One set of cables is like for the cabinets volume and service credit buttons and the other goes to the LCD panels PCB for remote control. Make sure thats actually not disconnected it. If the controller was changed and the old remote is not compatible then your remote stuff wont work (like maybe not getting a status LED)

If you feed the monitor like a known positive 16:9 input like from a laptop or something do you still get aspect forced into 4:3??? I think its auto setting the aspect ratio which is what I would kind of expect a panel to do. If your content is 4:3 it will auto aspect that to 4:3. Your TypeX3 splash screen is 16:9 there for the image is 16:9.

Edit/Note: I think you TypeX settings for that game are some how set into 4:3 the image looks correct for 4:3 as well, so you should confirm this or feed known 4:3 and 16:9 to rule out the monitor. And yes all Noir HD's I ever touched and seen the panel on were Weiya idk about the originals though those may have been Sanwa 768P panels like vewlix and gbalance.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to explain this image then.

I get 16:9 no issues on the Viewlix but 4:3 only on the Noir.

Both are hooked up to the same hardware.

Attachments

• 20230505_183918.jpg
    20230505_183918.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Has to be a monitor setting in the menu section of the lcd screen. If it works fine on the Viewlix and not on the noir it has to be that for sure.

Okay thats the key info I was looking for so if the same hardware is doing it differently and your 100% positive the game is 16:9 then that seems very odd.
Idk how you would confirm or change that setting on the noir either :/

Okay thats the key info I was looking for so if the same hardware is doing it differently and your 100% positive the game is 16:9 then that seems very odd.
Idk how you would confirm or change that setting on the noir either :/
Yeah this is puzzling me and I think I will just eventually put in a gaming monitor instead. I would hate to remove a good working monitor tho 😒 decisions, decisions...

I appreciate all the help and input guys!

It may help you sleep at night better knowing that the monitor was mucked with at one point and you can just save the old one for some other use or person.
You can preserve most of all the original mounting wares for a panel swap on those cabs I used wood boards to make an improvised VESA mounting adapter lol.

If you feed the monitor like a known positive 16:9 input like from a laptop or something do you still get aspect forced into 4:3???
@Kidkaos just wondering if you tried this?

I think that is a bit of a red herring, that's MvC2 on the Naomi which outputs 4:3 Native right? so the vewlix is stretching to 'fill' whereas the Noir is showing it in native resolution.
With the TTX3 booting, that boot screen is most likely defaulting to 1080 but once you boot SF4 the aspect ratio/output video is changing to 4:3 again (but also on vewlix this will be stretched to fill the screen). *some of this is just a repeat of what Geekman said.

Back