What's new

HometownArcade

Beginner
Reaction score
We restored a CT2 sit down game and put an LCD monitor inside. The monitor looks great and the game plays well but every time it is turned on, it displays an error on the screen saying can not access gd-rom drive. If we then reseat the cable out of the gd-rom drive to the monitor and power cycle, the game boots up. Do we need to add an OSSC device to the mix? Could the cable be bad? Any tips on this issue would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7306.jpeg
    IMG_7306.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7307.jpeg
    IMG_7307.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 48
If we then reseat the cable out of the gd-rom drive to the monitor
What? You mean the cable from the gdrom to chihiro? Gdrom cables can be fickle pitas so you might try a different cable if it only boots after reseating the cable.

Your display swap has nothing to do with your gdrom issue.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a try. The error 25 code in the manual says to reseat and if it keeps happening to replace the gd-rom but we will try a new cable first

Alternatively you might try to netboot since I noticed that's a netdimm.Just change the jumpers inside the dimm ,configure the network side of things and transfer game crazy taxi high roller 512mb to your netdimm

Thanks @PlatynumX - really appreciate your input. Could you point me to some documentation or share more details on how to complete those steps?

Thanks @Mrhide - just to confirm, I don’t need to go the raspberry pi route, right? I could just connect a regular laptop and copy the game to the netdimm. The raspberry pi option seems a lot more involved and not really needed for running a single game but wanted to confirm. Thanks!

Thanks @Mrhide - just to confirm, I don’t need to go the raspberry pi route, right? I could just connect a regular laptop and copy the game to the netdimm. The raspberry pi option seems a lot more involved and not really needed for running a single game but wanted to confirm. Thanks!

When you copy / load the game on the netdimm, it stays there, as long as there is power to it! When you turn it off, there's a battery that will keep power to it ...for a little bit! but if you're operating the game, there's no way that would be reliable. That's why I mentioned the CF card route, which would allow it to reload the game, by itself, at any reboot.

You can also automate that process with a rasberry pi I believe but it's indeed a little bit more involved.

@HometownArcade to really help you figure out your best possible route we need more info.
1)does the battery in your dimm hold a charge?
2)is the his restoration destined to go back into active duty or in a home environment?

I don't understand, why does it matter if the battery holds a charge or not? He still needs to either have the media connected (GD-ROM, CF) or the game transferred via netbooting. If there's a working battery, it will just skip game loading after verification.

why does it matter if the battery holds a charge or not?
You need to transfer the game on every boot.
If the dimm battery holds a charge long enough they don't need to send the game rom over every boot. My netdimm holds a charge for about 2 days. Game loads from memory during power on.

It's a cab that will ever only run one game. Just transfer it every time on power-up and forget about it. Doesn't matter if it's not powered on every two days (or however long the battery lasts).

Iirc outrun2 runs with no modification needed to inputs /harnesses. I'm sure there's a few others.
Shifter differences there, no? Been a while, but OR2 is 4 gear, CT is up/down, isn't it?

No, OutRun is up / down as well.

Fair enough, you can run OutRun 2 as well. I wouldn't (no FF), but sure.

Wangan has a 6-way shifter. Also, I doubt it works with a Sega IO.

Last edited:
Back