What's new

kinooshi823

Professional
Reaction score
I have a spare seagate st9420ag that I want to put the War Gods CHD in since I have the board but no hard drive. I am finally getting around to it. Anyways, I see that I have 4 CHD files. So I am a little confused since I know it needs the CHD to run the game. I assume that I should only put the biggest size CHD into the hard drive? or the one thats just plain wargods.chd? The other three; 08-15-96, 11-07-96, and 12-11-95 are present and I don't know if they would be better instead. I also don't know if I should clear the roms and install the dual-resolution version?

Last edited:
11-07-96 is the dual resolution and latest version. (yeah it's the biggest)
Just use that one.

If anyone can give me advice on this issue here...

the hard drive is not being detected on my PC, I have Windows 10.

The hard drive does power on when I have it connected to my ide to USB converter but makes faint clicking noises. I am unsure whether this means the drive is bad.

If anyone can point me to somehow getting the CF version of this, that would be great!

Or advice on how I can somehow get the image burned onto the hard drive I have here with my current setup.

I used Osbox Linux to see if the drive is seen and it is not.

Answered your PM but for posterity:

There’s no hacked CF image sadly. Maybe @neku could if he had the time or desire, since he has so much KI experience now. I don’t know this processor well enough to patch it myself.

wargods just needs the hard drive formatted a very certain way. If it’s an authentic wargods drive it should just need the data restored via chdman. In windows command line, DISKPART should show it even if the main gui doesn’t. I’d try that first. This is a set of instructions for KI but using chdman to write a drive is the same https://www.thekillerinstinctproject.com/kiproject/chdman.html

start>run
type cmd.exe
then at the dos prompt...
type diskpart
type list disk

You should see all the disks connected to your system, and hopefully that drive shows up.

Otherwise getting an alternative drive is a huge pain in the butt, it’s documented here if you’re brave. I have no hardware to boot the disk tool anymore, nor do I have suitable DOM modules sadly. It should work with any drive that can get the proper commands to work, but it’s hard to find docs that say if a given drive does or not: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/wargods-cf-and-boot-rom.3561/page-8#post-238341

Last edited:
The hard drive does power on when I have it connected to my ide to USB converter but makes faint clicking noises.

What kind of IDE to USB converter? Clicking could be due to lack of power too.

Ideally you would connect the drive to a computer with a PATA interface.

That should be OK. Which would mean the drive is likely a dud.

Time to SETMAX a new drive for the game. You need an older computer with a PATA interface and a mechanical drive or a compatible Disk On Module. In my experience I haven't found a mechanical drive that doesn't support SETMAX.

In my experience I haven't found a mechanical drive that doesn't support SETMAX.
That’s good to hear. None of my DOM or CF cards supported it, and I was only able to hunt down one transcend model DOM that did. I know the one ssd I tried, worked, but I was looking for more compact options.

That should be OK. Which would mean the drive is likely a dud.

Time to SETMAX a new drive for the game. You need an older computer with a PATA interface and a mechanical drive or a compatible Disk On Module. In my experience I haven't found a mechanical drive that doesn't support SETMAX.
Damn.

The oldest pc I have is a Dell laptop that runs Win 7

I do have an old dell optiplex but it's from 2010 and that POS doesn't work for some reason.

I lost $30 then for that hard drive...oh well.

Back