What's new

lukemorse1

Professional
Reaction score
I just finished a repair on a Sega Naomi 1 today. This system has been in my stack of repairs for more than it should have but no matter how many times I looked it over and tested it, I just couldnt find out why there was no sound.

The system would boot fine. First went into test mode to do a sound check and nothing. Then I did a ram test on the system. All ram came back as good. I had another Naomi 1 parts board that would boot up with sound but no picture due to being severely damaged having been left in a cab outside.

I decided to remove the sdram at IC35 and swap it over (I didnt have any spare ram to use so figured I would take the ram from the one that had working sound)

After I successfully removed and transplanted the sdram onto the board I powered it up and was greeted by that lovely Naomi Jingle. I thought at this point everything was a go. I put in Jambo Safari and it booted into the game....but...no sound. I put in a couple of credits and hit start and then all of the sudden there was crackling with a few sound effects but mostly static.

Going into the game rom test I tried to sample all of the available sound effects with nothing but hissing and popping sounds. At this point I my focus turned to the yahama sound processor 315-6119 IC33. As before, I removed the processor from the donor board and placed it on the other Naomi. I fired up the game and all sounds were present. I played the system for an hour then put in another game without any issues.

Ive heard of burnt traces before on the filter board causing a drop out of sound but this time it was a bit more work. None the less, another system saved from the grave.

Back