What's new

Chalavet

Student
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’m Kermit, and I stumbled upon this site while researching arcade hardware. I just moved to Japan for work, and I have decided to move forward with my plan of getting arcade pcbs and cabinets. The idea was birthed back in 2000 when I got the user manual for X-men vs Street Fighter. However, due to school, work, life, arcade cabinet hunting has been on hold. I’m looking forward to taking the journey in stride here in Japan as the selection can be quite overwhelming. I look forward to learning from you all. Thank you.

yup, living in Tokyo
Awesome! I’m heading up to Yokosuka for work later this month, and I’ll be there for a month. Hoping to get time from work to get to Tokyo and check out some arcades. Any recommendations?

The ones I know of are as follows:

Ikebukuro: Mikado
Takadanobaba: Mikado. Actually has two locations down the street from each other
Akihabara: Hey! and GiGo #3

If you're hardcore into fighting games, then there's one at Nishi-Nippori that's mostly fighting games, and think it might have a scene on weekends.

The ones I know of are as follows:

Ikebukuro: Mikado
Takadanobaba: Mikado. Actually has two locations down the street from each other
Akihabara: Hey! and GiGo #3

If you're hardcore into fighting games, then there's one at Nishi-Nippori that's mostly fighting games, and think it might have a scene on weekends.
I’m not any good, but I do enjoy playing them! That’s an awesome list. Any good stores for arcade parts, or should I just stick to Yahoo auctions?

In-person browsing I know of is in Akihabara.

There's Beep, Surugaya (these two are right next to each other on a side street), MAK Japan (on the main street) and one or two small places on the first floor of Tokyo Radio Department across from the station.

Last time I stopped by Surugaya the selection of PCBs was pretty low. Haven't been to MAK in a while, but they had the friendliest staff of all the places I've been.

But I wouldn't expect to find deals on boards in these shops. Too many tourists have come in and cleaned out much of the stock =(

I think for parts specifically (sticks, buttons) MAK and one of the shops in Tokyo Radio Department might have the best choices.

Get yourself a YAJ account and keep your fingers crossed. You’ll still be competing against a lot of people, and prices can go nuts, but sometimes you get lucky. Bought easily 200k of merchandise for people on the forum from there between 2022-23. I got a lot of stuff for myself just throwing “bullshit bids” out there. Just don’t get emotional and keep bidding more than you want to pay, especially for common stuff like CPS2 boards. I promise others will appear. I built a good size console and arcade collection this way in about two years. Shipping it all back to America was rather expensive when it came time for me to move, so keep that in mind when building your collection up out there. Keep each package under 150,000 yen if possible to avoid extra fun with export customs (about 5000 yen plus 3-4 days more time per package if you don’t heed this advice). Anyway, enjoy your time there!

In-person browsing I know of is in Akihabara.

There's Beep, Surugaya (these two are right next to each other on a side street), MAK Japan (on the main street) and one or two small places on the first floor of Tokyo Radio Department across from the station.

Last time I stopped by Surugaya the selection of PCBs was pretty low. Haven't been to MAK in a while, but they had the friendliest staff of all the places I've been.

But I wouldn't expect to find deals on boards in these shops. Too many tourists have come in and cleaned out much of the stock =(

I think for parts specifically (sticks, buttons) MAK and one of the shops in Tokyo Radio Department might have the best choices.
Just a heads up the parts store at Tokyo Radio Department moved in April. It’s on the same street, but further down. Walk about 100 yards on the same street AWAY from the Akiba main road and it will be there on the right. The new location is bigger. Same amount of stuff, but now more than two people can shop at one time.

Just a heads up the parts store at Tokyo Radio Department moved in April. It’s on the same street, but further down. Walk about 100 yards on the same street AWAY from the Akiba main road and it will be there on the right. The new location is bigger. Same amount of stuff, but now more than two people can shop at one time.
Do you happen to know the same of this shop? I'd like to keep it in mind next time I'm in Japan

Do you happen to know the same of this shop? I'd like to keep it in mind next time I'm in Japan
Sorry but I don’t remember at the moment. I shopped there at least 20+ times but I never bothered with the name. Just find Tokyo Radio Department and go from there with the directions listed above. I have a clear file they gave me the day they reopened with their name on it but it’s buried in my stuff in Arizona. You can see inside the shop from the street level though so it’s not TOO hard to find. You’ll cross one alley street and a KFC and it’s there on the right.

The folder MIGHT be with my important papers here, but I’m not sure. I seem to remember last seeing it in Arizona. I’ll look tonight and if find it I’ll post the name. It’s a cool little shop with a lot of sticks, buttons, mod kits, etc. Prices are cheaper than online stores but don’t forget you have to put it in your suitcase 😉

Back