What's new

LittleLarrySellers

Professional
Reaction score
The board in my newly acquired GnG would only boot to white screen so I assumed problem was on the top CPU pcb. Standard checks for power, CPU and clock yielded nothing so started checking program ROMs and bingo found one was bad. Burned a new EPROM and game boots right up!

While I was troubleshooting I noticed this tiny capacitor on the end of the board near the crystal was broke. I was afraid that was what was causing the game not to boot but it appears that was not the case. I tried to find this capacitor - CC25 in the schematics but could not. What is its actual value so I can replace it and what does it do? Is it just to help smooth the crystal's signal? Luckily, it had nothing to do with my issue but still want to replace and understand what its doing.

Attachments

• 20230731_221211.jpg
    20230731_221211.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 63
thats a filter cap, not mission critical to replace ASAP but I would also.
Will be the same size as the rest of them down that side.

sidenote, that is one of my favorite games. Its a PITA to work on though, with security mask you cant track traces easily.

Thanks Scuba. This is my Eleanor so pretty excited to get her in the lineup, also an all time fave of mine.

I see 1010 on the capacitor. I'm not entirely sure what uf/voltage that represents.

Hi, on my Black Dragon this is a tantalum capacitor 106e = 10uf/25v. Probably the same or similar to your GnG.

Back