What's new

notsonic

Champion
Reaction score
I just got a System 256 off YAJ as is. It's Gundam on an HDD with an original memory card. Surprisingly with the HDD banging around in shipping, it boots just fine.

The only issue it seems is the sound volume is extremely low. I swapped it with my 246 to make sure it wasn't my cabinets/amps. I took a quick look at the mobo and there's no obvious signs of leakage, but there are some caps on the audio lines. I'm going to replace those first and see if anything changes.

Anyone else come across either low audio or some other bad cap situation with one of these? I did some searching but didn't find much. I did find some info about recapping PS2s though. Plus it's from that whole rohs shitty cap era, so it's worth a shot.

Low volume is most likely caps on the audio amp circuitry. Sometimes the sound can improve after a system has been on a while as the caps warm up.

A recap should sort it.

I replaced c14 and c15 and sound is back to normal now. They're 3.3uf for reference.

I also ripped up one of the pads and traces and had to install a repair wire. I definitely need more hot air practice and patience.

PXL_20231124_025043473.jpg

Back