What's new

man1aco

Student
Reaction score
Strange glitch in Virtua Fighter 3

I have 3 complete sets all with the same fault.
2 sets have serious problems on the video PCB but that is irrelevant.
The game accepts credit but does not enter the service menu, not even through the PCB buttons.
The number of rounds is infinite, the fighters' life bar is zero, one hit and you lose, after starting the game he stays in the same fight infinitely, you can see that for a few moments the game is in slow motion.

What I've already tried:
Increase the source voltage to 5.25v and 3.45v and the failure remains.
I removed the battery and supercap.
I tested with the other two ROMs PCB

Since the failure happens with all my 3 CPU PCBs, I believe it is a recurring problem with the Sega Moldel 3, but Google did not find any information about this problem.
I just haven't tried a conversion to VF3TB yet, which might allow me to enter the service menu and pass the tests, that's my last hope.

IMG_20240517_174824.jpg
IMG_20240517_175020.jpg

The cause of this problem is corrosion caused by liquid leaking from the 'c200' supercap.
'PIN22' of IC22 - 'PIN9' of IC33 - 'PIN1' of IC84 All three points must be electrically connected, but if any one of them is disconnected, it will fail with the symptoms mentioned.
If you check the short circuits of the three points I mentioned and connect them all with wires, the problem will be resolved.

Fixed the 3 CPU Boards, two just a good cleaning with alcohol, one had to make bridges.

IMG_20240518_125736.jpg
IMG_20240518_125750.jpg

Last edited:
Now I need to find some memories to repair 2 video PCBs

And as I live in Brazil, I can't find it here.
I have to find a very cheap place to buy because the import taxes of our communist government are 92% to import anything.
memoria.jpg
IMG_20240518_130658.jpg

Polygon glitches can be a memory issue, but they can also be a problem caused by a dirty connector.
If you have connector cleaner (ex BW-100), spray it on the connector.

Polygon glitches can be a memory issue, but they can also be a problem caused by a dirty connector.
If you have connector cleaner (ex BW-100), spray it on the connector.
Memory test fail poligon memory and poligon fifo

A bad connector can cause memory failures even when the memory is normal. Give it a try before replacing the memory.

Back