What's new
OK you monsters, I had to move to my cab, since my OSSC is kaput.

IMG_5771.jpeg
This game rocks. Two warriors, hired by their government to set bombs in buildings owned by a rich old white guy, and blow them the fuck up. As a Middle Easterner who liked to spray paint buildings and growing up in the US during the 80's and 90's, this game called out to me... (too soon?).

It's still relevant today, because the plot is also about AI becoming stronger and dangerous around the 2020s and that's why we are actually blowing the buildings up. It's basically state sponsored terrorism at the Chat GPT Headquarters...

IMG_5769.jpeg
And here is my favorite game on the S24. Man, I just wish I hd a way to play it the right side up. I guess I have to buy another candy cabinet so I can put the screen in what the youngins are calling TAIT mode, short for TAITO I assume. I just wish I had a way to turn this so it would be easier to play....

IMG_5769 2.jpeg
I GOT IT, just lay my cabinet on its side, voila!

Outside of these two games, only the one shump on the S24 is worth a damn, and also the racing games, but all three of those require the I/O board, which sadly I do not have!

Well, it's time for me to go back to playing, feel free to post any questions you may have!

Actual lol. I finally got a donor and need to get around to installing the multi.

Actually "tate" is a Japanese word meaning height. Can sorta mean tall but not quite. Though it is a Japanese word many mispronounced it as "tayt" or "tait".

The correct pronunciation is "tah-tay".

Actually "tate" is a Japanese word meaning height. Can sorta mean tall but not quite. Though it is a Japanese word many mispronounced it as "tayt" or "tait".

The correct pronunciation is "tah-tay".
:P

Mitsi, you don't think I actually turned my E2 side ways do you?... LOL

Tate itself is a name, the real word is Tate-ru, which means to stand up and I think Japanese slang may be Tate.

立てる = To stand up
立て = Slang for vertical (stand up)

The actual Japanese word for vertical is Suichoku (垂直) or Chokuritsu (直立), neither of which are easy for English speakers to say while we're bragging about our latest Garegga 1CCs...

I'm not Japanese and I'd welcome a native chiming in, but I think this is a US usage of the word. All language is fluid and I actually prefer to say Tate (sounds like tait), because I associate the word for a shorthand of ro-TATE, which is what one does to the monitor. Of course I was joking about the Taito part...

I forget that humor is hard to express via forums sometimes!

Anyway, pronounce it however you want, it's not real just like the word shmup, have I derailed this S24 support thread enough yet?!?!

Just a little more derailment for the knowledge of the hobby and culture we love.

Yes what you say is true mostly. But it is not a made up word. It's just not a word that most non-fluent speakers would even use as there are other more commonly used terms for the same thing. The Japanese language has a relatively small original vocabulary when compared to other languages. Thats why you see so much Katakana usage. (Katakana is only used for foreign words borrowed from other languages). When you think about it from a Japanese perspective it makes perfect sense that "Tateru", the verb for stand, and the word "tate" meaning upright or vertical would have similar symbolic meanings. One does not stand horizontally after all. ;)

Here is the knowledge:

https://jlptsensei.com/learn-japanese-vocabulary/縦-たて-tate-meaning/#:~:text=length,height,Type: Noun

I agree that one can pronounce it however they want but I disagree that it is just a term that we arcade collectors made up. We have popularized it to Westerners via the hobby but we cannot claim to have created it.

:) :) :)

Oh and just because it bothers me as a student of Japan and its culture and language when I hear it, Taito is pronounced "Tie-toh" and not "Tay-toh". :P

The more you know...

So not to be the “akshawlully” guy here but for if talking about which way a monitor is oriented:

縦 is the kanji for vertical and is read as たて (Tate)

東側の壁にポスターを縦に貼ってある。
The poster is hung vertically on the East wall.

横 is the kanji for horizontal and is read as よこ (Yoko)

西側の壁にポスターを横に貼ってある。
The poster is hung horizontally on the west wall.

✌️😉

IMG_7992.jpeg

I was actually going to ask you to chime in, @Joko3 . You corrected some of my Japanese in Tokyo so figured if I was wrong you would be happy to let me know. :P

I was going to tag him, but then I figured, WTH, why bother him in a S24 multi thread about Japanese! ...

Check this out, I forgot how much I suck at this game, but I finally picked it up off the ground and roTATEd the monitor!

IMG_5789.jpeg

Just for everyone's reference on this, see the ad below:

The text for the Astro City mini ad reads 縦画面モニター採用 (たてがめんモニターさよう)"uses vertical screen monitor"

Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 1.43.05 PM.png

I was going to tag him, but then I figured, WTH, why bother him in a S24 multi thread about Japanese! ...

Check this out, I forgot how much I suck at this game, but I finally picked it up off the ground and roTATEd the monitor!

IMG_5789.jpeg
Has anyone ever checked out the PC Engine CD version of this game? It's quite awesome and very different from the Genesis version. Highly recommend checking it out.

Has anyone ever checked out the PC Engine CD version of this game? It's quite awesome and very different from the Genesis version. Highly recommend checking it out.
No, but looking for info on it I see there was also a Master System version. Shit, I may have to hunt these down now...

No, but looking for info on it I see there was also a Master System version. Shit, I may have to hunt these down now...
The only downside on the PCE one is it is only one player. Considering how much more fun the Genesis one is with two people that was a let down. The music is kick ass though!

IMG_5789.jpeg
Getting good at this game is actually possible, it's scripted, ennemies are always placed the same way and have always the same behaviour when you approach them.
That said the final boss is really cheap, and you can't continue on that stage...

The seller is the site admin, but he's sick right now. Give him a few days and them PM him. (he's the one on the first post)

How does on acquire a multi kit? Here is my Gain Ground -
View: https://youtu.be/g2HGJIk-avk?si=bCwQdIPvTGG5R5Y4
Great game. I remember playing this back in the day. Either in Rhyl or Llandudno, North Wales, UK? I don't think it was a dedicated cab though as I'd remember a huge cab like that; for example Darius. Who could forget that one. Love that cab and the artwork. A rare one indeed. Just the board alone is expensive

Back