What's new

plasticfactory

Grand Master
Reaction score
I'm looking for an audio probe to troubleshoot a bothersome Primal Rage audio board.

I'm having trouble finding anything that isn't DIY. Am I just using the wrong terms, or does what I'm looking for not exist?

... Or, is this the time to buy an oscilloscope?

A scope wouldn’t help exactly, the audio probe is like a separate amplifier so you actually hear what’s going on in the analog section. On a scope you would see a waveform but it’s often helpful to hear the audio. Essentially, you probe a pin and the audio probe amplifies it, so you hear the result through a speaker or headphone.

https://vakits.com/lm386-kit-2-pin-input-2-pin-output @ack has one of these I think.

I know I couldn't hear it, but wouldn't a scope be able to indicate if there is an audio signal on the line? In any case, a simple probe like you're describing is definitely what I would prefer.

a scope would show you oscillations are happening, sure. Get one of those too ;)

IMG_4468.jpeg

That’s what pin 2 on the primal rage audio harness looks like on a scope (when audio is playing) ;)

Yep, a scope will definitely show you the oscillations on an analog audio line. :thumbsup:

So it looks like the little logic probe you directed me to can do this! I found another thread discussing using it for this purpose, and being able to hear the audio through the little speaker on the probe.

Well that settles that. I already have that logic probe, and have also ordered the Caius board as a standalone unit.

So it looks like the little logic probe you directed me to can do this! I found another thread discussing using it for this purpose, and being able to hear the audio through the little speaker on the probe.
Hmm … I’ve never tried using it as a logic probe before! I’ll have to try it out…

Back