What's new

Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope everyone is well. This might be an entirely random question and not too relevant/interesting to anyone, but I got a Toaplan Hellfire board and the jamma edge was interesting. The jamma connector was silver except for a thin strip of copper coloured metal at the very edge (on both sides). I have not seen this type of wear before and wondered if anyone had, or could explain it (has it been filed down, or came like that, oxidised etc.). I wouldn't have expected that uniform wear just by connecting it. Really just curiousity more than anything. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_1651-01.jpeg
    DSC_1651-01.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_1652-01.jpeg
    DSC_1652-01.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 63
This looks like it was sanded down or otherwise cleaned with an abrasive of some sort. There aren't the usual marks present from edge connectors being inserted so it's clear someone at some point took action to clean up the JAMMA edge.

This looks like it was sanded down or otherwise cleaned with an abrasive of some sort. There aren't the usual marks present from edge connectors being inserted so it's clear someone at some point took action to clean up the JAMMA edge.
I'd agree here.

The 2 main finishes of PCB are HASL (Hot air-leveled solder), and ENIG (nickel/gold immersion). Under either is the actual copper layer of the circuit board. Usually quality production run boards are ENIG and cheaper or bootleg boards will use HASL. Since the copper is only seemingly exposed near the very edge I wouldn't be too concerned.

Thank you both very much for your replies. That all makes sense and I appreciate the insights. Even after many years in the hobby I keep finding the curiosity never stops.

Back