What's new

haightc

Beginner
Reaction score
I am a new f3 owner..... I had been playing the bubble memories that came with my board but have recently got a f3 multicart...
I've noticed the sound amp heat sink gets really hot, is there value in just removing the sound amp since I am using the audio from the JAMMA side?
Some of the chips get toasty, worth throwing heatsinks on them? I don't think there is clearance to put fans

Taito F3 already has a (weak) fan but it’s in the back. Also, if you’re running sound from the JAMMA edge, you would need the amp. The heatsink getting warm means it’s working—pulling heat from the amp. It shouldn’t get too hot to touch.

Active cooling like an auxiliary fan can only help prolong life of amp and other chips but might be overkill depending on how you’re using F3. Are you running this in a hot cabinet or is it on a desk?

Mine didn't come with a fan, but the audio heatsink can get very hot along with one of the CPU gets pretty warm on extended play session. My F3 is on an open shelf, looks like my LIONS case just shipped today..... SInce my doesn't have a base plate it sitting ontop on my NeoGeoCD, I am weird and like to group things...... so I have the MVS, PGM, F3 and NGCD on the same shelf. It's also been 100-110°F too which doesn't help

A typical processor on these boards has an operating temperature range in excess of 70°C (158°F). Running the F3 when the ambient temperature is 30-40°F higher than usual will of course result in hotter chips. Additionally, the Darksoft multi draws less voltage than a typical cart, therefore, your board may run cooler compared to a typical motherboard and cartridge combination.

If you have your boards all together on a shelving unit and you’re concerned about heat, you could aim a tabletop fan at it. Alternatively, (or additionally) you can glue aluminum or copper heatsinks to the processor and other chips that get hot, (keeping in mind that there’s not a lot of clearance between boards). Another option would be gluing a small 12- or 5V fan to the motherboard but I wouldn’t recommend that unless you have experience soldering and working on boards.

Back