What's new

plasticfactory

Grand Master
Reaction score
In the process of removing all the socketed chips from my Primal Rage, I accidentally cracked the corner of a PLCC socket. Very frustrating, but should be recoverable. The question is, can I glue and clamp this to repair it, or would that be inadvisable (ie, should I just not bother attempting to fix it and remove/replace it first thing). Thanks for any advice.

Oh, and before anyone says a thing -- I already ordered a proper PLCC removal tool :)

1686158010878.png

Eventually the split will widen and some pins will lose connection from the pressure of the chip, I'd replace the socket but if you don't want to do that at least put a cable tie around it and maybe a bit of glue to re-enforce it.

That's actually pretty close to what I had in mind. I was going to use a plastic bonding glue, then 3d print a TPU sleeve to fit around it. I'll go ahead and order a replacement in case it's ineffective in the long term.

I used a plastic bonding glue between the crack, then printed a slightly undersized TPU frame. It's very solid (no gap, and I can't move anything with some decent force). I think this will work!

Edit: still working great

1686684169807.png

Last edited:
Back