What's new

gigasturtz

Professional
Reaction score
I recently picked up a not fully working Time Crisis and am trying to get it going.

The gun is not registering. On the calibration screen it flashes invalid value when I pull the trigger, regardless of where the gun is pointed.

My understanding is that the former owner took the gun assembly and used it with another cabinet and it was working fine, so it appears to be something else. The 5v circuit was reading 4.8v at the board inside the gun assembly. I adjusted the power supply to get it to 5v at the gun but no luck.

Anyone have experience with this issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

strange thing just happened as i was messing with it. the gun registered kind of randomly. seemed like a couple shots went through somewhat where you would expect, then shot between the left and the right sides regardless of where i aimed before staying on the left. it also worked it's way down a bit during that, like the cross hair would inch down a little vertically each time i pulled the trigger (it was most noticeable when it stayed on one side and just went down). after a bit of erratic movement the crosshair stopped on the far left side, a little lower than the middle of the screen.

that feels like it might be a capacitor problem somewhere, like it got a charge for a second then slowly stopped carrying it.

Is the joint pcb wire connected? I had this issue before, the gun drive pcb could have also gone bad as it has a SMD capacitor which is prone to leaking. I have also found this game to be extremely picky when it comes to the 5v rail. What version of the cab do you have? Standard or deluxe? The deluxe cabs have a RGB to NTSC composite video converter and make sure the gun lens and optical sensor is clean as that can affect performance.

tc.jpeg

this is the cab I have, that's the Standard one right?

tc1.jpeg

the joint pcb is the one in the front there yea? I see on the schematic that it should have some wires going to the gun point pcb as well as the gun drive pcb but I only see one set of wires here. are the others inside the case or are they missing?

tc2.jpeg

I don't see any SMT caps on this, would they be on the back?

when I measured the 5v rail initially it was 5v at the power supply and 4.8v at the gun assembly, so something between the two seems like it's messed up.

reseated all of the headers. managed to catch some of the descending crosshair this time

Back