What's new

kayzp4ul

Student
Reaction score
Has anyone ran a Model 2 board in a Blast City before? I recently picked up a Dead or Alive Model 2a board. I made a jamma harness that sends the 5 volts to the correct pins on the filter board same with the grounds as well. RGB is running through the jamma as well. I get a picture on the Blast City, but it says that the 5 volts are too low. When I try to crank up the 5 volts on the psu I can't get it to go to 5 volts. Not enough juice. That's why I am wondering if it's possible on a Blast City. If anyone could shed some light on this I will be grateful!

Blast City has enough power to run a Model 2 provided:

1) your power wiring is sufficient
2) the capacitors in the PSU are in check

I would start with the first. That's probably your bottleneck. Measure what kind of voltage drop you're getting from the Blast City IO board to the filter board on the Model 2.

+5V is on CN3, https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Blast_City_Wiring_Guide#Cabinet_I/O_Board

I was getting noticeable voltage drop even with a recapped NVS-4000 PSU on a stock Astro City and kept having to adjust voltage depending on the game. I upgraded the 5V and ground lines to 16AWG from 22AWG and that solved it. Now I can go from a MiSTercade to a Naomi netboot setup and the voltage remains the same.

I was getting noticeable voltage drop even with a recapped NVS-4000 PSU on a stock Astro City and kept having to adjust voltage depending on the game. I upgraded the 5V and ground lines to 16AWG from 22AWG and that solved it. Now I can go from a MiSTercade to a Naomi netboot setup and the voltage remains the same.
Hmmm. Maybe I should look into that. I've recapped the psu and amp when I first got my Blast City about 2 years ago. I'll have to double check my adapter that I made. I'll try and get a picture posted here to show you guys in case I am missing something. I was able to get the board to run on my Aero City, but over course no sound because I don't have an amp in the Aero City. Would it make a difference if I jumped the 5 volts wires together where possible? Same with ground?

Blast City has enough power to run a Model 2 provided:

1) your power wiring is sufficient
2) the capacitors in the PSU are in check

I would start with the first. That's probably your bottleneck. Measure what kind of voltage drop you're getting from the Blast City IO board to the filter board on the Model 2.

+5V is on CN3, https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Blast_City_Wiring_Guide#Cabinet_I/O_Board
I don't have the 5 volts coming from the Blast I/O, but instead from the jamma. Should I be looking into an adapter that uses the amp up connectors?

The jamma harness is connected to the IO board. I would start by measuring the voltage drop. If it's a considerable drop, then you will need to look into beefing up the wiring. Ideally you would bypass the jamma connector entirely and go from the IO board straight to the filter board.

Back