What's new

NeoNovice

Beginner
Reaction score
I want to get a VMC (virtual memory card) for my consolized MVS (MV-1B board), but I’m seeing conflicting info on them. Some people say you need to remove the existing bios, and some say the bios on the VMC will just override it.

I don’t know how to solder/desolder, so I can’t remove the exiting bios chip.

So does anyone know which is true here?

Don't know who told you that the VMC will override the bios. That is WRONG. You need to at least lift a couple of legs from the 1B. Or do what I do and just remove the bios all together and run a unibios on the VMC. Good luck.

Don't know who told you that the VMC will override the bios. That is WRONG. You need to at least lift a couple of legs from the 1B. Or do what I do and just remove the bios all together and run a unibios on the VMC. Good luck.
I think it was some YouTuber that was showing how to install the NeoBiosMasta VMC.

But those aren’t available any more, so I’d be getting a knock-off from China and I’m worried about risking my perfectly good Unibios 4.0 chip. Then if the VMC doesn’t work, I’d be screwed.

There is a good NBM install guide here
https://consolemods.org/wiki/images/8/8a/NeoBiosMasta_Install.pdf

Agree with 300Wins that the stock bios needs to be disabled in order for the NBM to work.

Instructions on how to disable the stock bios are in the back of the guide, screenshot below
Screen Shot 2024-07-02 at 7.42.46 PM.png
This is certainly a lot easier than before the neo bios master was invented - But if I had never held a soldering iron before and was choosing my first ever project I might not choose that one.

OK guys, i have installed two of them.
1 on MV1B and 1 on MV1C

On MV1B its not work if you dont deactivate che original bios or remove that.
On MV1C dot not REMOVE or deactivate the original bios.
This is for my expeirence and i dont know if it change on different model of VMC

I believe it depends on the version you have. I think the last version from NeoTurfMasta didn't require any pins lifted, but those obviously aren't being made now.

I believe it depends on the version you have. I think the last version from NeoTurfMasta didn't require any pins lifted, but those obviously aren't being made now.
Yeah, I think that’s the one I had initially heard about. So unless those end up getting produced again, I don’t think I’m willing to risk my system on a cheap knock-off.

Yeah, I think that’s the one I had initially heard about. So unless those end up getting produced again, I don’t think I’m willing to risk my system on a cheap knock-off.
It's not much of a risk.

If the knock off vmc doesn't work (it probably does work) just solder the legs back where they belong or install a regular NBM in its place.

I'm guessing you have the AES-looking mv-1b console?

If the very worst happens, you can get replacement motherboards (with that cheap-ass flex cable already installed) for $150ish (I'm pretty sure).

There are other vmc options as well. I bought a couple from @NeoJamma. Cool guy. Sent them right away. Might want to ask him about it.

Im happy with my two MVS with VMC :D
It's the best. I have it installed on all my MVS.

When they weren't available for purchase I bought an Omega CMVS because it came with it.

I need to have my turf masters scores saved.

Back