What's new

Four22

Beginner
Reaction score
I was recently gifted a pair of Speed Up arcade games. On one the graphics are perfect. The second has some glitchy areas. Previous owner said pictures were perfect before we moved them to our basement.

I swapped the monitors between the 2 and proved it wasn’t a monitor issue but being new to this, I have no idea what to do next…

Attached is a picture of what I’m seeing. The billboard is a good example.

I’m not sure what to check or what to do next.

Attachments

• 21F879B2-3348-4E00-A47A-47218B4542E6.jpeg
    21F879B2-3348-4E00-A47A-47218B4542E6.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 91
I also have one that’s doing the exact same thing, I’m not sure if it could be an issue with the RAMs on the pcb.

Any suggestions?? I’ve never dealt with a tube tv before.

That’s a video ram issue on the board. Know issue on gaelco. Due to bad cooling. Maybe some reflow can help. It’s the mid board under the right rom board

Do you by chance have a picture of what to look for? I’m brand new to this and have no idea what I’m looking at. I’m mechanically inclined but just need to know what to look for.

Also some terminology…. Reflow? Rom board?

Thank you!!

He's saying you can use a soldering gun to remelt the solder that connect the RAM chips to the PCB. Not something you want to do if you're only mechanically inclined but never soldered before. If it's worth fixing to you, I'd mail it off to someone to do for you.

Or watch some soldering videos and go to town!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ijwL3kkw1A

Got it. I work in an electronics manufacturing facility. Maybe I can get someone there to look it over 👍

Got it. I work in an electronics manufacturing facility. Maybe I can get someone there to look it over 👍
Yeah, wait until the person above with the board provides a picture of the RAM so you can tell your coworker which area to hit. They won't want to do the whole board!

Historically though, it seems that when the RAM goes bad, you have to pull it off (de-solder it) and replace it with a new, working one. Not expensive usually and only a few minutes of work, but worth it. If your co-worker can just reflow really quick that might be an easy first step.

One thing to try is when the game is on, press down on the chips you think are cold-soldered to see if the graphics clear up, this might work to trouble shoot the specific chip.

Reactions: AMS
I’ll see if I can try to fix mine and take some pictures of the boards while I’m at it. I do know that mine has a dead fan which most likely caused the boards to overheat where it used to be.

Back