What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
A while ago I had performed a tear-down of a Virtual On OT arcade stick: Virtual On Oratorio Tangram/Outtrigger Joystick breakdown for reporduction/replacement

I'm pretty good with Solidworks and I started modeling most of the parts that make up the base of the stick. what I really want to model are the grips, Some of the base parts are made of steel and wouldn't do well for 3D printing, similarly a lot of the plastic parts require perfectly smooth mating surfaces, which again wont work for 3D printing (at least not without a lot of post-printing work).

If we could model the grips that would be fanststic. Partly because these seem to crack and break more often than any other part of these sticks. And if we have a model for the grips then we could adapt them for use on other, more readily available flight sticks (like the Sanwa sticks) which would allow for the look and feel of the real VOOT sticks but more easily obtainable.

When it comes to modeling complex shapes I'm out of my depth, 3D scanning could be an option but I'm not too familiar with that either. I've heard of people using Kinect but I've also heard that it's got really poor resolution so it might not work for this either.

Anyone here have any modeling suggestions or scanning suggestions?

Back