What's new
J

jassin000

I've mentioned this before, I don't know if it could be done from a tech standpoint. :/

I'm aware that almost every game uses different sound chips, the only commonality is the 6.2mhz TMS34010. :(

I think the (small but amazing) potential game library speaks for itself, and is worth the effort involved...

Smash TV
Total Carnage
NBA Jam
NBA Jam TE
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
Terminator 2: Judgment Day

:D :D :D

All of the games would require a specific set of patches to kill the protection on them.
Each uses a different 'GPU' chip, so it's not like you can recycle all the patches.
For example, if you do all the work for a 'NBA JAm' board, you must redo them all for a MK1 board. (This chore will require a lot of in-depth knowledge of the TMS34010 as well.)
I'm not saying it's impossible, everything is possible when you have enough time to do it.

Might be easier to get WWF/MK3/UMK3/Rampage running on a board if we patch out the security check (serial PIC) on those.
According to MAME source, you might get a game running if the serial starts with 528 on the game you own as well. (maybe a generic PIC they used for developing?)

Thanks Asure for the tech breakdown, I was afraid the answer would be something like that.

If I was only going to wish for one Midway multi, it would be a T Unit. It didn't have as many games as Y, but I still love the first two MK's and NBA's the best out of the entire X Unit family...

Rampage World Tour is pretty awesome, but MK3 and UMK3 blah no thanks. ;)

Rampage World Tour is pretty awesome, but MK3 and UMK3 blah no thanks.
I actually really enjoy MK3 rather than UMK3. I hated it at first but it grew on me. UMK3 is so insanely difficult against the computer that it makes you want to tear your hair out when it does some cheap move.

I simply hated the dial-a-combos, and I felt the run button messed up the awesome air juggling from MK2.

I liked what Capcom did with SF3... That was to make it even tighter, to me its the picture of control evolution with in a series. A very close 2nd would be Garou MotW.

Midway de-evolved with that dial-a-combo BS, its a short cut to actual game play.
I will always remember MK3's release as the day the series jumped the shark.

Wolf unit roms seem to be 'easy to mod'. Except checksum details, this is how the protection can be bypassed:

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=328152

Code:
FFB0A770: 42 0B EF FD        CMPI   210h,A2                 ; check calculated value
FFB0A790: 05 CA              JREQ   FFB0A7F0h               ; jump if valid
FFB0A7A0: 42 0B 48 FE        CMPI   1B7h,A2                 ; check calculated value
FFB0A7C0: 02 CA              JREQ   FFB0A7F0h               ; jump if valid
FFB0A7D0: 00 C0 FE FF        JR     FFB0A7D0h               ; jump to endless loop - stop cpu execution
Not too much games on this platform, but in my opinion, some of midway's greatest. (MK3, NBA Hangtime, WWF)

Back