What's new

k1701

Student
Reaction score
Hello everyone, l have a cps2 board with the darksoft champion edition installed.
I had a Peter Chou power supply ,(USP-11-150X )wasnt working and installed and RetroArcade.us 16A Arcade Switching Power Supply, 133 Watt, 110-220V
as well as a Gonbes 8200 vga adapter

It was working properly from my pov, later l noticed the screen "jumping " then the screen goes blank with the vga adapter showing " no signal" message
I checked it and the 5+ voltage was 4.89, raised it to 5.1v .(recommended voltage since the darksoft board needs more voltage
It worked with no problems then ,screen started jumping.

I stopped all attempts to adjust any +5 volts

1.What should l do increase the 5+ to 5.18v? (One poster said their cabs are at 5.18, 5.23 for certain cabs)

2. Or should l get a replacement Peter Chou power supply(USP-11-150X)?

Thanks for your attention

What is your 5V at the JAMMA edge? if indeed that is 5.1V - I wouldn't go above that with the CPS2.

Do you know that this board has no issues with the video generally? Did it work fine with the regular B/C board, and just the multi has this issue?

What is your 5V at the JAMMA edge? if indeed that is 5.1V - I wouldn't go above that with the CPS2.

Do you know that this board has no issues with the video generally? Did it work fine with the regular B/C board, and just the multi has this issue?
Hello mathewbeall, thanks for the response,
The 5v is tested at 5.1, l raised it to that level

The A board I'm using as had no problems,the B board had no issues

I tried the darksoft board with another CPS2 B boards, no issues

I IMHO , that barring any issues with the A and B boards , the 133 watt retroarcade supply could be underpowering the boards, the arcades where l live used the Peter Chou 150 watt supplies for CPS2 games, and also the darksoft board is drawing more power

Last edited:
I have easily powered my CPS2 with Multi on a 110w "arcade power supply" with no issues. I can't imagine it would be pulling that much for you to need a larger power supply.

Let's see what other folks come in with?

Did you try another working b board with your A board? This symptom you describe could have many things be the cause of it, including a failing custom.

Before doing anything, might I suggest cleaning the rom sockets well that the Darksoft kit’s plugged into & reseat the kit/power it back up? The rom sockets on these B boards can get pretty unreliable with age.

I have easily powered my CPS2 with Multi on a 110w "arcade power supply" with no issues. I can't imagine it would be pulling that much for you to need a larger power supply.

Let's see what other folks come in with?
Hey , thanks for the response,was hoping it was a power supply issue, l still have the working Peter Chou supply and a new fan for it

Did you try another working b board with your A board? This symptom you describe could have many things be the cause of it, including a failing custom.

Before doing anything, might I suggest cleaning the rom sockets well that the Darksoft kit’s plugged into & reseat the kit/power it back up? The rom sockets on these B boards can get pretty unreliable with age.
Hello GoldenGlover, will try what you described and get back with findings, Thanks for responding

Hello Everyone, just a Quick update on my CPS2 issue,I dropped troubleshooting on my CPS2 darksoft ,due to other things cropping up (including an attempted coup in my country,and a very near miss with Hurricane Beryl )
I was able to figure out what caused the screen jumping,turns out the the power supply was not holding the 5v settings.
The voltage after adjustment would go from 5v to 4v after a few hours.
I bought a new power supply,installed it and it works! No more screen jumping! Thanks to mathewbeall and Goldenglover for the advice!

Good news - sorry to hear about the attempted coup, and glad Beryl missed you. Hopefully things are getting calmer for you.

Good news - sorry to hear about the attempted coup, and glad Beryl missed you. Hopefully things are getting calmer for you.
Thanks for the well wishes, lt is much calmer, turns out the whole attempted coup was just a red herring by the government.lts a sensitive issue because there was a coup in 1990.

I'm glad to get back into the arcade hobby,getting my CPS 2 Darksoft working properly,

Once again Thanks for the advice on troubleshooting the voltage issue!

Back